Christmas is coming and musical instruments remain popular choices for special gifts under the tree. But where do parents start when considering what to buy and how do you make sure your child gets the most from their wonderful new gift?
As a mum, being supportive and encouraging has always been something that I’ve been concerned about and is a big part of why I set up The Strings Club all those years ago in 2012 to inspire children through music.
Here is some advice that The Strings Club team and I can offer from years of experience, this is for anyone looking for an inspirational musical gift this festive season:
- Choose an instrument to suit your child’s age. For children aged 4 or 5 we know from experience ukulele and violin are perfect because they are small and light.
- Make sure it is the right size and good quality! Be careful when buying an instrument online. We’d recommend visiting your friendly local music shop to try out some instruments.
- Don’t forget to accessorise! You will need things like a tuner, violin rosin, cases for ukulele/guitar.
- Support your child. Learn how to tune the instrument – this is a hard thing for children to master and will boost your listening pleasure!
- Practice makes perfect! Weekly music lessons will help turn their new gift into an amazing skill for life.
Our Spring Term Time Classes start Saturday 13th January, from 9.30am, and priced from only £15 per lesson. And right now you can get 15% off all new beginners courses. Take a look at what courses are happening near you.
Have any questions about instruments and courses or want to book? Give us a call on 0121 296 9204 or take a look at our Term Time Courses in more detail.